snow

Blogger Widgets Blogspot Tutorial

Friday, February 15, 2008

David Byrne's Survival Strategies for Emerging Artists — and Megastars


The Talking Heads in amazing outfits made (probably not sure) by Adele Lutz

The previous issue of Wired featured David Byrne of Talking Heads giving tips of how artists in music should deal within the new frame- set.
"Full disclosure: I used to own a record label. That label, Luaka Bop, still exists, though I'm no longer involved in running it. My last record came out through Nonesuch, a subsidiary of the Warner Music Group empire. I have also released music through indie labels like Thrill Jockey, and I have pressed up CDs and sold them on tour. I tour every few years, and I don't see it as simply a loss leader for CD sales. So I have seen this business from both sides. I've made money, and I've been ripped off. I've had creative freedom, and I've been pressured to make hits. I have dealt with diva behavior from crazy musicians, and I have seen genius records by wonderful artists get completely ignored. I love music. I always will. It saved my life, and I bet I'm not the only one who can say that." Read whole article here

No comments: